8 Innovative Decking Trends: What’s Hot This Year
When it comes to decking trends, there are those timeless designs that can stand the test of time, but by adding some modern twists, you can transform any backyard into an exciting outdoor oasis.
Whether you have a small or large backyard, there are many ways to maximize its potential this summer with a new trending deck design. Envision your deck as the perfect spot for sunbathing, unwinding with friends, or hosting a neighborhood barbecue.
To inspire your next outdoor upgrade, we’ve turned to the experts at Olympic Decks, and consulted several top deck design professionals to uncover the hottest deck trends in Seattle this summer. So if you’re looking to refresh your current deck or build an entirely new one, these innovative trends are sure to breathe new life into your outdoor space.
Deck Trend #1: Eco-Friendly Materials
Embracing sustainability, the decking world is seeing a significant shift towards eco-friendly materials. This trend not only reflects a growing environmental consciousness but also offers long-lasting and aesthetically pleasing options for homeowners. Key highlights in this category include:
- Composite Decking: A frontrunner in sustainable decking, composite materials are a blend of recycled plastic and wood fibers. They are renowned for their durability, low maintenance, and resistance to rotting, warping, or splintering. Composite decking comes in a variety of colors and finishes, making it a versatile choice for any design aesthetic.
- Reclaimed Wood: For a touch of rustic charm and history, reclaimed wood is gaining popularity. This material is salvaged from old buildings, barns, and other structures, giving it a unique character and story. Besides its obvious visual appeal, reclaimed wood is a win for the environment, reducing the need for new lumber.
- Bamboo Decking: As a rapidly renewable resource, bamboo offers an innovative solution for eco-conscious homeowners. It’s strong, resilient, and has a distinct, elegant appearance. Bamboo decking is a testament to the fact that environmentally friendly choices can be both beautiful and functional.
These materials not only contribute to a greener planet but also offer longevity and a timeless appeal, making them a smart investment for any decking project, a decking trend to really look into.
Deck Trend #2: Bold and Vibrant Colors
Stepping away from conventional wood tones, this year’s decking trends embrace a palette of bold and exciting colors. This shift represents a move towards more personalized and expressive outdoor spaces. Olympic Decks, known for their innovative approach in the Seattle area, is at the forefront of this colorful revolution. They understand that a splash of color can transform a deck into a true extension of the homeowner’s personality. Noteworthy trends in this category include:
- Rich Blues and Greens: Reflecting the lush landscapes of Seattle, deep blues and vibrant greens are becoming increasingly popular. These hues create a harmonious connection with the natural environment, making them a perfect choice for those seeking to blend their outdoor living space with the surrounding beauty.
- Warm Earthy Tones: For those who prefer a subtler shift from traditional wood, earthy tones like terra cotta or muted olive offer a contemporary twist while maintaining a natural feel. Olympic Decks has masterfully incorporated these colors into several Seattle homes, achieving a modern yet grounded aesthetic.
- Multi-Tonal Decks: The trend of multi-tonal decking is a game-changer. By combining different shades within the same decking area, these designs add depth, dimension, and a bespoke character to outdoor spaces. Olympic Decks has been particularly adept at crafting these multidimensional decks, making each project a unique artwork.
In embracing these bold and vibrant colors, homeowners in Seattle are not just building decks; they are creating personalized outdoor spaces that resonate with their individual tastes and the rich hues of the Pacific Northwest.
Deck Trend #3: Mixed Materials
The blending of diverse materials in decking design is a deck trend rapidly gaining traction, especially in the creative hub of Seattle. Olympic Decks is leading this innovative approach, skillfully combining materials like wood and metal to craft decks that are both visually striking and highly functional. This trend is about breaking the mold and embracing a unique aesthetic. Key elements include:
- Wood and Metal Fusion: The contrast between the warm, natural tones of wood and the sleek, modern lines of metal creates a visually compelling deck. This combination is not only aesthetically pleasing but also adds structural strength. For instance, metal railings with wooden decking have become a signature look in many Seattle homes, courtesy of Olympic Decks.
- Incorporating Glass Elements: Adding glass panels or balustrades offers a contemporary twist, enhancing the view and creating a sense of openness. This is particularly beneficial in Seattle’s scenic landscapes, allowing homeowners to enjoy unobstructed views of their surroundings.
- Creative Use of Concrete: Integrating concrete elements, like pavers or a concrete seating area, with traditional decking materials adds a modern edge and diversifies the texture palette.
The benefits of mixed materials in decking extend beyond aesthetics. This approach allows for greater customization, durability, and often, a more efficient use of resources. Olympic Decks has been at the forefront in Seattle, demonstrating how mixed materials can redefine outdoor living spaces, blending them seamlessly with the diverse architectural styles of the region.
Deck Trend #4: Built-In Features
The integration of built-in features into decking is a trend that’s rapidly gaining popularity, particularly in Seattle’s diverse and vibrant outdoor spaces. Olympic Decks has been a pioneer in incorporating functional yet aesthetically pleasing elements into their deck designs. These features not only enhance the usability of outdoor spaces but also add a touch of elegance and personalization. Prominent among these features are:
- Built-In Planters: Ideal for those who cherish greenery, built-in planters offer a seamless way to integrate nature into decking. They provide a natural burst of color and can be used to create privacy or define different areas within the deck. Olympic Decks has been instrumental in designing decks with planters that complement the lush Seattle landscape.
- Benches and Seating Areas: Incorporating built-in benches or seating areas maximizes space and creates an inviting atmosphere for your guests. This is particularly effective in urban Seattle settings, where space can be at a premium. Olympic Decks has mastered the art of creating comfortable, stylish seating that naturally flows with the deck’s overall design.
- Fire Pits and Fireplaces: A fire pit or fireplace can turn a deck into a year-round gathering spot. Especially in Seattle’s cooler months, these features become the heart of the deck, providing warmth and a cozy atmosphere for socializing or peaceful solitude.
- Outdoor Kitchens: A rising star in deck design, built-in outdoor kitchens are a game-changer for entertainers and culinary enthusiasts. Olympic Decks specializes in creating bespoke kitchens that include grills, prep areas, and even refrigeration, turning decks into the ultimate venue for dining al fresco.
These built-in features are more than just additions; they are integral parts of the deck’s design, enhancing both the functionality and the attractiveness of your deck. Olympic Decks has consistently demonstrated how these elements can transform a simple deck into a multifunctional and inviting outdoor living space, perfectly aligned with Seattle’s dynamic lifestyle.
Deck Trend #5: Horizontal and Wide Plank Decking
In the evolving world of decking, the trend towards horizontal and wide plank designs is making a significant impact, especially in the Seattle area. This style, championed by Olympic Decks, offers a modern and expansive look to outdoor spaces. Key aspects include:
- Wider Planks: Moving away from traditional narrow boards, wider planks provide a clean, contemporary feel. This style minimizes the number of visible seams, creating a more cohesive and sleek surface.
- Horizontal Layouts: The strategic placement of planks in a horizontal orientation is a design choice that’s gaining popularity. This layout not only gives the illusion of a wider and more open space but also aligns seamlessly with modern architectural aesthetics.
Olympic Decks has been utilizing these design principles to transform decks into visually larger and more inviting areas, perfectly complementing the scenic backdrop of Seattle homes.
Deck Trend #6: Smart Lighting and Technology
The integration of smart lighting and technology is revolutionizing decking areas, a trend particularly embraced in tech-savvy Seattle. Olympic Decks is at the forefront of this innovation, enhancing outdoor experiences with advanced lighting and technology solutions. This trend is characterized by:
- LED Lighting: LEDs have become a popular choice for their energy efficiency and longevity. They offer a range of colors and brightness levels, allowing homeowners to customize the ambiance of their decks.
- Solar-Powered Lights: Emphasizing sustainability, solar-powered lighting solutions are gaining traction. These lights harness Seattle’s natural daylight, providing an eco-friendly and cost-effective lighting option.
- Smart Technology Integration: The incorporation of smart home technology into decking areas adds a layer of convenience and control. Features like programmable lighting, automatic climate control, and integrated sound systems can be managed directly from a smartphone, making it easier to create the perfect outdoor setting.
Olympic Decks leverages these technological advancements to not only enhance the aesthetic appeal of decks but also to offer homeowners in Seattle a more convenient, customizable, and enjoyable outdoor living experience.
Deck Trend #7: Multi-Level and Curved Designs
Multi-level and curved deck designs are reshaping how we think about outdoor spaces, especially in the varied landscapes of Seattle. Olympic Decks is leading the charge, showcasing how these designs can transform a simple deck into a dynamic, multi-dimensional retreat. This trend involves:
- Multi-Level Decks: By introducing different levels, these decks offer distinct areas for various activities, like dining, lounging, or gardening. They add depth and interest, making the most of the available outdoor space. In Seattle’s hilly terrain, multi-level decks are particularly effective, as they adapt smoothly to the natural contours of the land.
- Curved Designs: Moving away from the traditional straight lines, curved decks bring a fluid, organic feel to outdoor spaces. These designs are not just visually striking but also allow for a more natural flow, echoing the undulating landscapes found in the Pacific Northwest.
The practical benefits are clear: these designs can maximize space in challenging terrains and provide designated areas for different functions. Visually, they offer a refreshing departure from conventional decking, making Olympic Decks’ projects stand out for their creativity and harmony with Seattle’s natural beauty.
Deck Trend #8: Covered Decks and Pergolas
In the ever-changing world of deck design, the deck trend of covered decks and pergolas is making a significant impact, particularly for homeowners looking to extend their living spaces outdoors. Michelle Hendricks, category marketing manager for Deckorators, highlights the soaring demand for these features. They represent more than just a structure; they are about creating transitional spaces that blend indoor comfort with outdoor freedom.
- Maximizing Transitional Spaces: Covered decks and pergolas are transforming into fully realized outdoor sitting rooms. Equipped with built-in daybeds, comfortable couches, and fire features, these areas are becoming extensions of the home’s interior.
- Outdoor Kitchens: The trend also encompasses fully equipped outdoor kitchens, making these spaces ideal for entertaining and relaxing in any weather.
- Seamless Indoor-Outdoor Flow: Our design experts emphasize the importance of designing these spaces to ensure a smooth transition from indoors to outdoors. A covered deck acts as an intermediary zone, requiring thoughtful planning to achieve a balance of functionality and aesthetic appeal.
- Personalized Functionality: Each covered deck or pergola calls for individualized features that cater to the specific needs and style of the homeowner, making each project unique.
This decking trend is about reimagining the concept of decking, turning it into a versatile, stylish, and functional area that enhances the overall living experience, both indoors and out.
The Future of Decks: Wrapping Up Today’s Top Deck Trends
As we’ve explored, the world of decking in Seattle is buzzing with innovative trends that are redefining outdoor living spaces. From the sustainable charm of eco-friendly materials to the bold statement of vibrant colors, the trends of this year are all about personalization, functionality, and style.
Olympic Decks continues to lead the way in integrating these hot decking trends, whether it’s through smart technology, multi-level designs, or creating that seamless indoor-outdoor flow. Each trend offers something unique, whether you’re looking to revamp your current deck or embark on an entirely new project. The possibilities are as limitless as your imagination, blending practicality with the aesthetic appeal to create your perfect outdoor sanctuary.
For more inspiration and expert guidance on decking designs and construction, visit our showcase to view some of the amazing decks built by Olympic Decks! Whether you’re just starting to dream or are ready to build, let’s make your decking vision a reality together! Reach out today!